I have joined the ranks of the homeless missionaries!

October 14, 2014

Sorry I haven’t written until just now – I literally have zero control over what happens to me, so there isn’t a whole lot I could do about it. Just so you know, I won’t be able to write next week until Tuesday, so don’t get worried!

WOW it sounds like it’s a great week to be a part of the Cobb family! Congratulations Joe and Kirsten! Yay for love and eternal marriages! Just so you two know, there was a semi-wedding reception for you here in Jersey on Saturday! Our trio made chocolate cake and danced around our apartment. It’s almost like we were actually celebrating together 🙂 Kirsten, you looked GORGEOUS. I seriously can’t get over your dress! It beats sister missionary clothes, that’s for sure! Ho ho, you were looking pretty snazzy yourself. Also, Mac and Caroline’s engagement photos are beautiful. I’m pretty biased, but I’d say we are one good lookin’ family. Nice job parents.

This has been a crazy week! I spent most of it homeless, which is quite an interesting experience. I have slept in a couple of different missionary apartments and the mission home, but never my home home (although I don’t really have a home home either…). It’s kind of weird if you really think about it.

On Tuesday, Sister Dubon and I tore apart Eatontown as a Spanglish companionship, and it was so fun! I love Sister Dubon. The president called us “soul mates”, if that gives you any idea of how well we get along and what crazy experiences we’ve been through together. That night, we had dinner at a Mexican family’s house in Red Bank. They were so nice! All of the Hispanic families I’ve met and taught here are the nicest people ever. They also make really good food. Yum. Oh, and we walked out to Carlos’ Cake Shop after dinner! Yes, that’s the bakery in the TV show Cake Boss, and yes, it’s amazing.IMG_0698
The elders who work there promised me that they would bring me Carlos’ bakery sweets anytime I need it, because they feel really bad for me and they are super nice. Elder Nelson is also my district leader, so I think he feels a sense of responsibility for my well-being. It’s actually really great. (Tangent: All of the elders have been so awesome this transfer! They’ve stayed all night in the hospital with us, given us priesthood blessings, they call us at night to play us primary songs on the guitar, bring by food for our sicklings, and keep us laughing the whole time. Honestly, our whole zone feels like a great big family. We’ve been through so many crazy things together! I serve with some of the world’s greatest and most selfless missionaries) We walked back to the Hispanic family’s home to eat our sweets, when Sister Fjerstad called me from the mission home. She was in tears and told me that she was going home on Thursday. I may or may not have lost it for a few minutes in their backyard. Sister Dubon and I walked back inside (I’m sure my face was red and puffy… I haven’t quite mastered the “single glistening tear” thing yet, ha), and the mother of the family reached straight for me and held my hand for the rest of the night! She can barely speak English, but she can speak the language of comfort! I love that sister, and I don’t even know her name. After we left their home, Sister Dubon and I raced home to pack up all of Sister Fjerstad’s belongings. We didn’t sleep that night, but it was worth it for Sister Fjerstad!
On Wednesday morning, we drove back up to Morristown for Specialized Training (it’s a meeting for all of the greenies in the mission), and then all four of us spent the night at the mission home. The next morning Sister Taggart, and I drove Sister Fjerstad to the airport to drop her off. There is something wrong about leaving your companion at the airport and driving home without her. It’s not right, and I didn’t like it one bit. Thursday was the weirdest day in the world, because I didn’t have a home OR a companion! Ha, in an interview with President, he told me he had no idea what to do with me! There are only two weeks left of the transfer, he didn’t want to close my area, I’m being “greenie busted” (first transfer out of training), and there wasn’t a great place for me to go for the rest of the transfer. You know how in the scriptures, the Savior tells his disciples not to worry about where they will sleep or what they will eat? They were homeless missionaries too! The Savior was essentially homeless Himself as well. I feel like my homelessness has made me a part of some sort of elite, homeless missionary club. It’s kind of cool, actually. I feel like I’m breaking all sorts of mission records (but not the usual, baptism kind).

In another interview with President, he told me the scariest, most exciting news in the entire world! I’M TRAINING NEXT TRANSFER! It’s terrifying, because my new little trainee and I will essentially be doubled into Eatontown (meaning that we are both new to the area, since I know nothing about it). Being doubled in is not an easy thing! Ah! Also, it has been an entire month since I have done real missionary work, and I am completely out of practice! I’m the one who needs to be trained! I don’t even know if I remember how to be a missionary anymore, and usually, they only call the best missionaries to train! What are they doing, calling ME as a trainer?! They take it pretty seriously out here. Trainers are responsible for teaching their trainees how to be hard-working and obedient servants of the Lord. A missionary’s training affects the rest of their missions and lives. Can you see why I’m slightly concerned? 🙂 As scared as I am, I also know that it’s the will of the Lord. These past three transfers have really taught me how to seek and receive personal revelation. At the end of my last transfer in Sparta, I was praying one night and received the impression that I would be training during my fourth transfer. President Taggart just confirmed that prompting. I’m super excited and super nervous. Ha, maybe this is Heavenly Father’s way of “re-training” me. It’ll be a greenie training a greenie. I’ve been praying and preparing for this next transfer for quite sometime, and I’m excited to see what happens. Hopefully, my new companion isn’t completely worried about my lack of experience. She goes into the MTC tomorrow, so send some prayers her way! Yay! I love her already, and I can’t wait to meet her.

More good news! I am no longer a completely homeless missionary though! I’ve been temporarily reassigned (again!) to the Freehold area. It’s just left and slightly inland of my old Eatontown area. I’m in a trio now with Sister Houghton and Sister Rogers! They are both excellent missionaries, and it’s been fun to serve with them. It’s been super weird to be a normal missionary though! Going to bed at 10:30, nightly planning, teaching lessons, and companionship studies feel slightly foreign to me. That sounds really bad, but I promise I tried to be obedient this transfer! It just got a little tricky towards the end there… It hasn’t been too hard to get back into normal missionary life though, which is a huge blessing! I need to be ready for next transfer!

We do a lot of work with less actives in this area, and I already love these people! This morning, we taught a lesson to this wonderful woman, Sister P. She is just starting to enter back into activity, and is LOVING the Book of Mormon! She is finishing it for the first time tonight, and it’s so fun to hear her share her favorite verses and her testimony. There is a very real light that enters into someone’s eyes when they are feeling the Spirit for the first time or after a long period of time. It’s one of my favorite parts about teaching. When people feel the Spirit, you can see it in their eyes, and it’s a beautiful thing.

Ha, Sister Houghton had an awful case of lice this transfer, which we finally eradicated yesterday. On my first night in the area, they told me that she had lice and I burst out laughing.IMG_0718
OF COURSE my new companion would have lice! It’s probably the only medical issue I haven’t dealt with this transfer! Honestly, I don’t think very many things could faze me anymore… I mostly just think it’s funny. Heavenly Father has a sense of humor, that’s for sure. On Saturday night, we had to make an emergency pharmacy run to get this extremely rare and expensive lice poison for our hair. We all had to get treated because she has a pretty crazy case of lice! The hair poison (they called it “lotion”) was $260 a bottle (the mission bought them, don’t worry mom and dad!) and it was 78% alcohol! We had to drench our hair in the nastiness and let it sit in our hair for 12 hours. I still smell like alcohol… ha. We had a lice poison party and did a lice dance (much like a rain dance) to destroy the lice. We call ourselves the Lice Slayers, and we’re pretty good at what we do because the lice are GONE! Yay! No lice for any of us!

Yesterday, there was a sister missionary party for all of the sisters in our mission. It was SO fun! We did yoga (my favorite), did facials, ate girl food, sang songs, and had a total girls day. The best part was that I got to see Sister Taylor! It made me so happy 🙂

That’s all for now! I love you oodles and noodles!


Sister Cobb, the Lice Slayer


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s